Frequently Asked Questions
Q: WHERE IS YWCA MONTEREY COUNTY LOCATED?
- YWCA Monterey County has an Administrative office location and a Monterey County resource center. Please call us in advance to determine the best office or location for your visit.
Q: HOW CAN I SUPPORT YWCA MONTEREY COUNTY?
- YWCA Monterey County relies on the community’s support to achieve our mission. Please consider volunteering, making a contribution or joining our advocacy efforts.
Q: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF YWCA?
- YWCA is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities. We are one of the oldest and largest women’s organizations in the nation, serving over 2 million women, girls, and their families. Through advocacy and local programming, we create real change for women, families, and communities.
Q: WHAT KIND OF PROGRAMS DOES YWCA MONTEREY COUNTY PROVIDE?
- Please see What We Do for specific information on our programs in our Monterey County communities.
Q: IS YWCA A NATIONAL ORGANIZATION?
- YWCA has 225 associations and serves more than 2 million women, girls, and their families in the United States. We are also part of an international movement serving 25 million worldwide in 120 countries. YWCA Monterey County is one of those associations and maintains its own local programs and Board of Directors. YWCA USA provides a range of technical assistance and capacity-building services to local YWCAs, safeguards the integrity of the YWCA brand, and maintains a strong national presence that will position the iconic, multi-tiered organization for increased stability and sustainability for the future.
Q: IS THE YWCA A CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATION?
- YWCA’s mission, originally inspired by principles derived from Christianity, has in recent years embraced an inclusive vision of “peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all people.” Today, membership and participation in YWCA is open to people of all faiths and those with no religious affiliation.
Q: WHEN WAS YWCA FOUNDED?
- In 1855, the first YWCA was established in London, England. The United States developed its first chapter in 1858, and the first national board was established in 1906. YWCA San Francisco & Marin was founded in 1878.
Q: DO YOU HAVE A GYM AT YOUR FACILITIES?
- No, we do not operate a gym. Please contact your local YMCA for gym facilities.
Q: WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YWCA AND YMCA?
- The two organizations are completely separate. Although we share a similar name, there is no connection. YWCA iPlease see our program page for specific information on our programs in our Monterey County communities.s one of the oldest and largest women’s organizations in the nation, founded in the United States during the Industrial Revolution when women began moving into cities and searching for housing and jobs to support themselves and their families. YWCA began as a women’s movement dedicated to empowering women and eliminating racism.