What is Trauma Informed Care (TIC)?
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to human services that assumes a person is likely to have a history of trauma. Trauma Informed Care acknowledges and recognizes the role trauma may play in an individual’s life. Integrating TIC on an organizational level changes the culture by appropriately responding to the effects of trauma at all levels.
Trauma Informed Care Statement of Commitment
YWCA Monterey County commits to being an organization that recognizes the widespread impacts of trauma and actively seeks pathways to recovery for community members. YWCA-MC staff will work to recognize the signs and symptoms of trauma in clients and respond by using knowledge about trauma and its effects to best serve clients and actively resist re-traumatization.
Tenets of Trauma Informed Care
- Trustworthiness & Transparency
- Collaboration & Mutuality
- Empowerment, Choice, & Voice
- Cultural, Historical, & Diversity Principles
Goals for Integration of Trauma-Informed Care:
- Develop training for all new staff that helps to embed trauma-informed care into all agency roles and departments.
- Create and implement an audit system for each department to be used on a quarterly basis to determine how the tenets of trauma-informed care are being operationalized in day to day work with clients and identify areas for improvement.
- Make appropriate changes to the agency trauma-informed care training to be used outside the agency with community partners and others.
- Incorporate trauma-informed care training into the 40-hour domestic violence certification training program.
As a community non-profit focused on empowering women and eliminating racism, we continue our education to best serve our clients. Mental health plays a significant role in the success of our participants. Our continuing education programs like this one helps us develop the best way for us to serve our clients. We are excited to provide wrap around services that are created through a Trauma Informed Care approach. We believe this approach will help our clients go from surviving to thriving.